108 Bead Mala Symbolism: Malas are ancient meditation tools created thousands of years ago by saints, sages and rishis. They are used to recite mantras that quiet and focus the mind. As we become calm and centered, we naturally radiate peace and calm to those around us. Traditionally, malas consist of 108 beads and a Guru bead at the very end by the tassel. The number 108 has special significance in geometry, and is regarded as sacred in many religious traditions throughout history. The Guru bead contains the spiritual energy of all the mantras.
To use your 108 Bead Mala, use the following as a guide: Sit comfortably and relax your body. Allow the mala to rest where it falls. Take the mala between your pointer and middle finger (there are nerve endings here that also help quite the mind). Start on one side of the guru bead and chant your chosen mantra silently or out loud, once for each bead. Work your way around the mala until you reach the Guru bead again. Avoid crossing over the Guru bead. Instead, if you wish to recite another round of 108, turn the mala around and work your way back in the other direction.
- Amazonite– Assists one in expressing completely and with love on all matters. Strengthens the ability to bring order out of chaos. Known as healer of the heart.
- Amethyst– Calms the mind. Lends strength and willpower to control undesirable habits. Known as the stone of spirituality, raising one’s vibration. Good for Pittas.
- Angelite- A stone for raising conscious awareness. Used to verbalize and communicate light and love to the world.
- Aventurine– Supports one’s ability to honor and trust one’s decisions. Helps to relieve anxiety and fear. Enhances creativity. Balances male/female energies.
- Carnelian– Great for meditating on happiness and dream fulfillment. Supportive in opening the heart center. Good for Kaphas.
- Jade– (yellow & green) Generates divine unconditional love. Assists one in being in touch with one’s desires. Helps in building the bridge to create dreams into reality.
- Labadorite– Helps one to advance without constraint. Provides insight and clarity of purpose. Assists in understanding one’s destiny.
- Quartz Crystal– Amplifies energies. Assists one in increasing the force of thought for sending and receiving energy. Provides for personal strength.
- Rose Quartz– Promotes love and passion. Opens and balances the heart center. Harmonizes the mind. Beneficial for Pitta.
- Rudraksha– Balancing, grounding, and purifying. Seeds of the Rudraksha tree are utilized as sacred prayer beads.
- Sunstone-Dissipates fear, alleviates stress and increases vitality.
- Tiger Eye– Promotes calm and clarity. Evokes brightness and optimism.